Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Gaybod » Opinions » Personal safety when meeting others. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rigger
Username: Rigger

Post Number: 64

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could your identity be as risk?

I came across an interesting story earlier this week which underlines the need for caution in circumstances I had not considered before - perhaps you hadn't either.

The story indicated that there was a new craze for Guys to use their mobile to video themselves having sex with other Guys then to post their videos on social media.
Obviously a cautionary tale - should you allow yourself to be videoed or filmed? Might it happen without you being aware? Do you check if it is happening in the excitement of the moment?
Had you considered your identity being exposed whether you agreed to being filmed or if it happened unawares to you?

Worth a thought! What do you think?

Whatever your thoughts it's worth raising the point with those you know to consider the matter for themselves.

Rigger

Post Number: 1793

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Spider and the Fly!
Read it at:
http://www.love-poems.me.uk/howitt_the_spider_and_the_fly_funny.htm

Cockrobin
Username: Cockrobin

Post Number: 32

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rigger's post reminded me of the famous poem
about the Spider and the Fly. The watchword is
SEMPER VIGLO(Always Alert) Just because someone
is by your side doesn't mean they're on your side.

Mechanic
Username: Mechanic

Post Number: 123

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think caution has a lot to do with your environment. In general you feel safe in your home environment and maybe become a bit blase and therefore maybe also take risks.
You don't expect the unexpected and can get caught out.
On the other hand, if you move to, or visit a new environment with its unfamiliar faces and places you do, automatically, exercise caution.

The lesson - always be wary, even in familiar territory: don't take risks anywhere.
Most people are decent but unfortunately there are some that are not and they are out to use you as they see fit - for cash, for accommodation and at the extreme end to abuse, humiliate and harm you.
It pays to look before you leap and make sure there is a way out before you jump in!

Rigger

Post Number: 1791

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those who have been cruising and contacting others on a casual or longer term basis will know only too well the need to be wary of potential dangers. Some will have learned the hard way by meeting danger face-to-face whilst others will have heard, or read of problems others have experienced.

Wherever possible Gaybod tries to give some guidance in personal security when creating profiles and writing messages. This help is contained within the General Information pages with particular items visible in the following links:
http://boards.gaybod.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.pl?tpc=44035&post=310246#POST310246

Today my incoming mail included an item from a regular reader of Gaybod who met someone via an Internet Forum - someone who had only recently started to cruise and make contact with others. He indicated that the meeting was brief but enjoyable but afterwards realised how unaware the Guy, as a newcomer to the scene, was in terms of meeting others.
I quote from his email:
It was only afterwards it hit me this young guy had been shockingly unaware he had seemingly, unwittingly chosen to put himself in a potentially dangerous situation by going into a clandestine meeting with a total stranger. He is a relative "newbie" (to Cruising) and from his actions, it's clear he's either ignorant or naive of the perils of "stranger danger" and the need to take precautions to protect himself.
I'm sure you know that there have been cases in the press where clandestine hook ups have had serious, occasionally tragic consequences - not only physically but also mentally. Then there are the cases of stalking, bullying and harassment by guys who don't take no for an answer or refuse to accept the meet was only intended as a one-off.

Those words do have meaning: I'm sure we all have a past meeting we would like to forget about because we have unwittingly put ourselves at risk!!

I have opened this thread therefore with the purposeful intent of giving readers an opportunity to post details of what they think are good guidelines for those just starting to cruise and meet with others.
Please add your advice.

In the interim just a few thoughts of my own:

In your profile, on any website, do not include personal details which could identify you to strangers. The Gaybod profile does have a box for members to put their 'Full Name' - there is no compulsion or need to be exact - a pseudonym or abbreviation is quite in order so John Smith can be JT for example.

Details of your location do not have to be exact. I have actually had to remove complete addresses with Postcode in the past! Your Town, or Area is quite sufficient and useful as it gives an indication to others as to whether you are in their area or not.

It you do contact others via on-line messages then initially the briefest of details should be exchanged.
Try to arrange your first meeting on 'neutral' ground - a Pub for example - and not at a home or business address. Once you have met someone and got to know them then that is the time to be more open.

..and finally, quoting from one of the Police Information pages, some advice on cruising out in the open:

If you do choose to visit a cruising ground, on arrival check that you know where the exits are and that you know how to get to them; particularly if it is dark.

If you do choose to visit a cruising ground, try not to carry a lot of valuables with you or large amounts of cash.

If visiting a cruising site, avoid confrontations, always shout for help if you need it and always inform the police if you spot any kind of trouble.

(Message edited by rigger on October 09, 2015)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration