Gaybod » Opinions » What do you think? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 204

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 16, 2019 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This section is an open space where you can share your opinions with others -
Historically it has been well used however many of the contributions were made some time ago and opinions change
- so the old items have been culled and now's the time to start afresh.

If you want someone else's opinion on something -- just ask

Zed
Username: Zed

Post Number: 13

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was and is precisely my point, Rimmer. All that Mike says is true – which is why it ought not to happen, for the reasons you have outlined, upon which I have attempted to elaborate and to which I have added really only one point – what about the Administrator volunteers? They are too discrete, too kind (on those two, see Rigger’s latest open note to me ref. Alconbury lay-by), too modest and too useful to blow their own trumpet and defend their own ramparts. On that it was always clear that you and I were in complete agreement.

Your earlier comment showed nothing other than full support for Gaybod. We agree that-one-to-one dating (particularly with a view to a relationship of longer than an hour or so) is best done (if done at all) elsewhere. I had not intended to suggest you had a connection with the mobile app you (almost) mentioned, nor any other. I asked someone a little while ago how it (well, one very similar that this particular man used to meet a woman, anyway, he said it’s much the same) works and I found the whole idea off-putting, so it seems we agree on that, too. On Gaybod, we are polite enough to use pseudonyms and not photographs when we correspond. There is no swiping here, in either direction.
We agree that the Gaybod Moderators do excellent work. I just think the rest of us should remember that Moderators have a choice of how much work they do and indeed what they do, kind though it is of them to consult people like me who couldn’t help to run a web-site no matter how we tried.
Your tone sounds a little wounded. I really had meant to agree with you, not irritate you (nor Mike, nor Ukbear, for that matter).
Zed

Rimmer
Username: Rimmer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zed,
I had hoped my comment showed my full support for Gaybod and that the idea of one-to-one dating would be best done elsewhere. I have no connection with G****R and am certainly not recommending it or extolling their virtues (if any) In fact, I personally don't like the site.
I totally agree that the Moderators here on Gaybod do a sterling job and they would be overloaded with extra work should it become an ordinary dating site.

(Message edited by rimmer on February 11, 2017)
I can resist everything except temptation.

Zed
Username: Zed

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Ukbear’s correspondent Mike’s reasons but reach the opposite conclusion for the reasons set out by Rimmer.
Gaybod is unusual, if not unique. It is operated and used by those of similar mind and habits. It has no commercial interests and is not commercial in nature. Its administrators are unpaid.
There are many commercial “dating” sites, several advertisers of cruising areas, dogging locations, saunas and the like. They are inclusive of a wider range of persons than Gaybod. Some include comment from “users”, often unreliable, usually because of commercial motives. They are governed by commercial interests one way and another. They often capture the user against his (or her) wishes (“are you sure you want to navigate away from this page”) or his (or her) data. Some require photographs, never mind an e-mail address, and will not provide information without registration (id est surrender of data and identity for later commercial use, usually not benign).
Gaybod does not appear to do any of that and lacks the commercial incentive to do so. Its Administrators give up their time and skill to allow us to use Gaybod. Many of us are more “users” – in the sense that we get out far more than ever we could put in, we read more than we write, we couldn’t run the site without the Administrators’ time – than we are Members. Gaybod is very carefully moderated to exclude questionable material and images, too.
To turn Gaybod into a “dating” site would increase user numbers, as Mike says, thereby shifting the balance of views of what Gaybod is for and what it should do. It probably could be done in the way Mike suggests. Are they the sort of folk current users (and/or Members) want to talk to, or, more importantly, hear from? Gaybod seems to have far more viewers than contributors. Both benefit. You wouldn’t say that of many commercial sites.
To turn Gaybod into a “dating” site would alter its character beyond recognition. It seems likely to involve far more work for Administrators and Moderators than at present, besides the other disadvantages listed above. It would also make Gaybod marketable for commercial interests.
That may not be fair on Administrators. They must surely work hard for Gaybod in their spare time as it is, for they are not paid for Gaybod work. Perhaps they are paid for similar work on sites with which Mike proposes Gaybod should compete, currently does not appear to compete and fills its current function better than those sites could ever do. We ought not to be giving Administrators a choice between their professional (paid) work and voluntary work for Gaybod, whether as to their time or their loyalty. Their employers may have something to say about that and I am certain if I had the skills and time (and contributed them) of the Gaybod team, I would!
That is my point. These pipers are not paid. They ought to be allowed to call their own tunes. I am glad they seek the views of others, users, Members, Guests and so on. Ultimately, if those views include an invitation to yet more work, more time, changing the nature of what they’ve built up, competition with paid work, to compete unpaid in a professional world and the like then trouble lies ahead. The goose that lays golden eggs is fed with input by Guests, Members, Administrators but it’s the Administrators, it seems to me, that do some serious shit-shovelling behind the scenes as it is. It would be a pity if they felt over-burdened creating and moderating new threads and just walked away from all their hard work – or made it commercial.
I suspect I am one of many. I would feel I had lost something useful and of value if either of those things were to happen.
Zed

Rimmer
Username: Rimmer

Post Number: 21

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I don't think that Gaybod is the place for lovey-dovey one2one adverts because I think that the vast majority of users on here and looking for sex. If love blossoms as a result of a meeting on here then all well and good.
There is a perfectly good and well known site G****R, that is free to use,(with limitations) that I think has lots of one2one requests.
I can resist everything except temptation.

Ukbear
Username: Ukbear

Post Number: 140

Posted on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am forwarding a message that one of our members sent me privately together with my reply.

Do you think that we should set up a thread for those who wish to explore a "one to one" relationship or do you feel that other sites would be more suitable?

"Hi UKbear, this is a message for the Gaybod Administrator.

I have been a Member for a number of years and increasingly wonder if Gaybod could include a thread specifically for guys who want a One-to-One Relationship. You cater for most other areas of gay need, even 'Met on the Internet' so why not provide this specific opportunity as well? Obviously contact could be through your PM service, so email addresses would be required. Locations could be basic areas of UK, as in the Sauna thread. You could stipulate the basic, true information which should be included in an advert, and of course give the usual warnings about meeting up in neutral places and the dangers, etc. that must always be borne in mind. You might find that Gaybod Membership would increase through offering this service.I would hope so.

I would like to congratulate you UKbear for your excellent photographic information and descriptions on saunas and cruising areas. I imagine the overall use of cruising areas, laybys etc. declining over time, becoming as rare as cottaging in UK. New generations are liberated from what they see as dodgy areas and places now, but there will always be a market for meeting up, and not everyone wants to frequent gay clubs and bars for doing so. Many guys want friendships / relationships / marriage, apart from one-off sexual encounters. Hence my suggestion. I would be pleased to hear what you think about this.

Kind regards to you and all at Gaybod,
Mike"

"Dear Mike

Thanks for your email, but I wonder whether "gaybod"is the right vehicle for your suggestion.

As you know, the site is more oriented towards sex rather than emotional encounters, that is not to say that a member might come across "romance"!"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration